Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2022

Brutal Obsession - S. Massery

He shattered my leg, and now he wants to ruin the rest of me.

Greyson Devereux is a menace–but only to me.
To everyone else, he’s charismatic.
He’s the son of a senator and the star of the university’s hockey team.

When all I want is to be invisible, he drags me into the spotlight.
He wants my blood, my fear, my attention.

Resisting him only worsens his obsession.
Fighting solidifies it.

He’s brutal, and he draws out a sick darkness in me that enjoys it.
But I’ll be damned if I let him become my downfall.

This book was exactly what I wanted and more. This had all of my favorite dark themes (stalker, bullying but even more, dub con, blood play, and more) while also having the softer side of romance that I love. 


Greyson and Violet were never meant to be together. She was the ballerina, he was the hockey god and a spoiled arrogant SOB. His twisted fantasies and possessiveness over ruining her made me question my sanity! I liked that he stoked the fire inside Violet that she didn't even know she possessed. Violet is extremely likable from go. She faces her own battles mentally as well as physically due to the accident but she is strong and has a great support system in her best friend Willow, who is also a wonderful character. Further, Vi is tough. She showed fear to Greyson when necessary but I think that overall her character was well rounded in that she never backed down even when fearful. Violet went head to head with every challenge he threw her way and proved herself to be a worthy partner, not that that's the point it's just an observation. I also really enjoyed her dark side and her asking for things as the story goes on. She comes out of her shell with Greyson and honestly with other bullies in her life and it shows how much her character grew under Greyson's watch. And Greyson... He wasn't unlikeable as crazy as that may sound. Even from go he had a bit of softness to him that he only showed Violet. I liked the change in him at around the 65% mark. Up until then he's kind of ruthless but when his edges soften it made my heart happy, especially knowing I had a good chunk of the book left with this side of him on display.

The actual plot was busy I will admit. There were a lot of loose ends that needed to be tied up by the end of this story but Massery was able to make it a satisfying end for each. I think that these plot lines were more ways for the characters to gain trust for one another. Could I have done with one less? Yes, definitely, but it was enjoyable in this aspect nonetheless.

Greyson and Violet were a match made in Heaven, or as Grey said, Hell, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. This was such a fun read from Massery and I am so excited for the next book in this series, focusing on another member of the hockey team, Steele (who has a pretty large presence in this story) and I'm HOPING his story is even better than this one, it involves his step sister... 

Side note: If you were a fan of The Ritual but felt like it was a bit too dark for your liking, this may be the perfect book for you. I LOVED Ryat in The Ritual but I definitely felt like the themes were too dark and the dub con was TOO dubious for me. Here, Greyson reminds Violet all she has to do is ask him to stop and he will. It's a constant throughout the book and a reminder to readers of the respect the author takes with her content. Yes this book is dark but it teeters which makes it even more enjoyable for readers like myself.

Rating 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment