Pages

Monday, March 7, 2022

The Confidence of Wildflowers (#1) - Micalea Smeltzer

My future is a big ‘what if’ at the moment and I’m fine with that.

For the most part. 
When Thayer Holmes moves in next door, the grumpy landscaper both fascinates and amuses me.
When he asks me to nanny his kid, it’s a great way to make some extra money. 
It’s impossible not to fall in love with Thayer and his adorable son.
There’s a big problem though.
I’m eighteen. He’s thirty-one. 
Falling for someone almost fifteen years older than me wasn’t part of my plans, but sometimes things happen when you least expect them.

This book is getting a real review. Not a cheesy “wow, so fun, loved it” review. No seriously, I feel like sometimes we all just want to see the good in everything and make positives out of literally all book situations, however in THE CONFIDENCE OF WILDFLOWERS readers are faced with real world issues that far too many people, parents, and children experience that isn’t talked about enough or written about in such an inspiring way. Micalea did a wonderful job handling each of these high intensity situations with careful but very honest gloves and I can’t thank her enough for that. This was a hell of a read, it really pulled at your heart strings and made you reflect on your life. I cannot wait for the second book of this duet.

Salem is everything you want in a female character. She is strong yet gentle, she is beautiful inside and out, she’s mature but not in a forced way that some books portray characters. She’s overall wonderful. She’s a typical 18 year old girl on the outside but inside she knows all too well the struggles of being dealt a really shitty hand in life, one I know all too well along with her. She handles every situation with thoughtfulness and shares her inner light in such a creative and beautiful way. She walks to the beat of her own drum and I absolutely fucking love her for that. Thayer is grumpy, he’s hardworking, he’s kind when he needs to be and extremely protective, he’s exactly what a woman like Salem needs. He’s not all sunshine and rainbows, he’s real, he has life experience (being over a decade her senior) but he has a playful side that most people do in their early 30’s. He has his career figured out but person life…not so much. These two are a force to be reckoned with and their chemistry is undeniable from the first page they’re together. Seeing their relationship grow and eve love was amazing. The reader gets shown months of relationship building and at no point was I like “okay blah blah blah let’s get to the good part.” It was always good when they were together on a page.

Micalea did a phenomenal job setting the scene and introducing characters that are important to the story and to each main character‘s life and it’s important for me to note, she does so in a way that is NOT confusing. Meaning she doesn’t introduce too many characters that become pointless and she gives so much life to the ones she does introduce to us. I also really love my small town and have a special connection to the roots I have here, so I relate to Salem when she says she doesn’t wants to leave hers. It’s more than just being comfortable somewhere it’s feeling safe in an entire area, not just in 4 walls. I think this book focuses a lot on the idea of home no necessarily being a place but rather a feeling. The way Smeltzer nails these characters feelings to their homes, families, and each other is so fascinating and romantic, as well as heartbreaking at times.

The end plot twists were not expected or at least the first one certainly wasn’t. I thought we were getting teed up for a completely different situation. However the final twist readers who applied for the ARC were actually warned about at one point I don’t remember if it was when I finally applied or when I first got the notification but we were forewarned. I don’t want to say anymore because I don’t want to ruin anything with spoilers.

I can honestly say this book wowed me in ways I didn’t expect. I can’t wait for THE RESURRECTION OF WILDFLOWERS!

Rating: 4.5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment