Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Cruel Abandon (Fallen Royals #5) - S. Massery

We're all hiding something.


I have a confession: I’m a big, fat liar.
My family thinks I’m in college on a scholarship.
They assume I worked hard enough to get a full ride.

The truth is much worse, but I wasn’t worried.
My secret was safe.

Wrong.
It only takes one girl to disrupt my plans.
To disintegrate the facade I’ve been building.
To ruin everything.

Turns out, she’s been building her own fragile house of cards.
And she’s about to meet the wrecking ball of her own creation.



CRUEL ABANDON is exactly what I needed from the Fallen royals series. With more twists and turns than any of the previous stores, a reader can’t help but to root for the Liam and Skylar. 


I’ll just say it right now, I love Liam. From previous books, Liam always seemed to be the calmest and happiest of the Golden Boys. He didn’t seem to get bothered easily and he seemed to smile often, even through adversity. That changes however in the beginning of CRUEL ABANDON. We see a darker, tougher Liam trying to support not only himself but his family. Seeing him fighting sparked an interest in me. He wasn’t my favorite of the bunch, but suddenly I was intrigued. He had more layers than I thought. I also loved his banter with Sky. He was gentle in ways the previous boys weren’t which I greatly appreciated. Sky is my favorite of the female leads. I found her strength inspiring as well as her attitude. She KNEW there was pieces missing in her mind, boxed up and unable to be reached, yet she tries her best to get to them in a safe manner whether it be therapy or talking about her past with people she should be able to trust. Their chemistry was electric. I love that they each fought it for totally different reasons only to realize that their reasons, for lack of a better word, sucked. They both deserve happiness, together, and I think the epilogues do a great job at providing readers a sense of finality and gratification for this couple.


The twist and reveals were well executed and didn’t leave the audience needing more. I was on the edge of my seat most of the story honestly but the ending had me shaking! The ending took me by complete surprise. I actually couldn't believe the first plot twist and when the even BIGGER twist was revealed that is when I felt my head spinning. I felt 90% satisfied although, slight spoiler, I wanted to see more of what went on once Sky remembered and they faced their monsters.  I think that that aspect was breezed over for something so intense and serious. I wish for like maybe 20 more pages of just Liam and Sky, as well as maybe the rest of the group, coming to terms with the information. The ending took me by complete surprise. I actually couldn't believe the first plot twist and when the even BIGGER twist was revealed that is when I felt my head spinning. 


As far as steam goes, this book did it for me but not because it was super sexual and exciting like Caleb and Margo, but more so because I could feel the trust and respect these two had for one another. It was sweet and sensual in ways that Caleb and Margo weren’t (which was fine, their story was amazing in its own right). 


Overall, I am extremely happy with their story and how Massery handled such serious and scary topics. Last up is Theo and while he WAS my most anticipated, I think Liam might just hold my heart as the favorite Golden Boy.


Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment