Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2021

Real Players Never Lose (The Boys #3) - Micalea Smeltzer

I’ve heard the whispers on campus of what a player Teddy McCallister is. Most girls on campus are vying to be the one, but guys like him don’t settle down.


When he overhears that my tuition has been pulled and I’m going to basically be a college reject he makes me an offer I can’t refuse.

Be his fake girlfriend until graduation so he can get his inheritance.

It seems simple enough. I need the money and he needs someone to make him look committed.

If one thing is certain, it’s that I won’t be falling for him. But no one warned me about what happens when my fake boyfriend starts to fall for me.


From page one I knew I was in for a great story. I already love this series and Teddy as a character so to see him in a book of his own was satisfying and overall well done. 


Teddy and Vanessa are both really fun characters in their own right and make total sense for one another! Teddy has a lot of love and kindness to share, as was obvious in the other books. He was a typical rich boy player but his friends always knew there was depth to him that no one saw. He was charming, respectful, and witty, all necessary qualities of a great leading man! Vanessa was brave, had a sharp tongue, and embraced even the parts of herself (and her body) that she didn’t love. She was a great role model type character and to see her go through hardships and be spoken to poorly made me sad! 


The progression of their relationship was extremely natural feeling. The back and forth banter was exquisite and made the book go super quickly. Readers will want the best for both characters while reading and honestly their best when they’re together. It’s obvious from go that these two had an intense connection. They’re supportive of one another in a multitude of ways that all relationships should be, and I love how fiercely they protected one another. I really liked that jealousy was shown very few times. I typically LOVE jealousy when I read. The possessiveness that jealousy usually portrays is "hot" and "alpha male" but I don’t think jealousy matched either of their characters much so the way it was presented made a lot of sense. Nothing felt forced, which is important to note. Their relationship, while forged under bizarre arrangements, was a strangers to a friendship that blossomed into something more and I’m totally here for it!


Of course we get to see our old favorites from previous books which makes the story all the more exciting to read. I loved seeing Mascen and Cole help Teddy figure out his feeling and help him along the way.


I think this story is less of a sports romance (Teddy is a baseball player) and more of a general college romance because baseball plays such a small role. For example, in the previous book in the series Cole’s scholarship was reliant on basketball, and he fell in love with his coach’s daughter, that’s a bit more sport centric than Vanessa going to a game of Teddy’s at one point in the book. 


I love how easy this story was to read and how much I wanted these characters to find their happiness. I was invested and honestly, isn't that the sign of a good story? 


Micalea Smeltzer has done it again! Now… Can we maybe please hear more about Jude..?


Rating: 4.25/5


No comments:

Post a Comment